If you choose not to clean and/or preserve your gown, here are some tips to help take care of your dress:
- Remove any safety pins. Over time they can oxidize and leave rust marks on your dress.
- Check your dress regularly to see if it is deteriorating from improper storage. It's recommended to refold your dress to prevent permanent creases.
- Don't use plastic storage boxes. While they are great for seasonal storage, they are not suited for long-term storage. If any moisture develops inside the box, the fabric can develop mildew.
- Ideally, your dress should NOT be stored in an area that is prone to high humidity (like an attic) or damp (like a basement). Fluctuating temperatures increase the risk of long-term damage. A wardrobe or a place under a bed would be the best choice.
- If your dress is not boxed, make sure it is kept away from sunlight and artificial light. Over time, they can cause the fabric to fade or degrade.